Youth Care Specialist Klahre House Residential
Worksite Location: The Dalles
Work Schedule: Full-Time; 40 hours per week
Salary Range: $18.94 - $21.59 per hour
Reports to: Residential supervisor
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Why would you want to work at The Next Door?
Hopefully you want to work at The Next Door because you share our vision of a supportive community where all children and families are safe, healthy and valued. Every day, we work towards making this vision a reality, by having integrity and by living our core values of being welcoming, just, empathetic, empowering and flexible. If you like to work with teen boys to help them heal and discover themselves in a therapeutic environment where they learn skills, independence and reach their potential, Klahre House residential is for you!
Why would you want to be a Youth Care Specialist?
It’s because you love helping kids, creating safe space and supporting them as they work through traumatic beginnings. Swing shift is from 4pm-Midnight where you will help the youth transition from their school day, make dinner, create a calming environment and help them wind down for the night. Swing shift staff will create a safe space and ensure youth are in bed and accounted for. Those interested in night shift (Midnight-8am) will continue the duties of swing shift, assuring that the boys are safe and accounted for throughout the night. In the morning, you will help them prepare for their day and potentially transport them to the Klahre House day treatment program. For those interested in weekends you can anticipate being there for the boys Saturdays, Sundays 8am-4pm and potentially holidays. You enjoy introducing youth to new activities and adventures in our communities, cooking with the youth and providing skills training and recreational activities for the youth.
Who is The Next Door looking for?
We are looking for someone who is reflective, respectful, intuitive, honest and self-motivated. We’re looking for someone who is able to connect and build trust quickly youth from all walks of life. We’re also looking for someone who is detail-oriented, organized, knows how to prioritize tasks and can work independently as well as part of a team.
What will you do as a Youth Care specialist?
• Instruct, supervise and participate in daily skill training and personal development
• Teach the youth social and emotional skills training and create opportunities for recreation and fun
• Work collaboratively with program supervisor and case management team to understand individualized service plan objectives
• Assure that physical safety needs of youth are met and the program participants and the environment are safe
• Give practical advice and guidance to youth within program guidelines
• Identify and anticipate potential behavioral problems and resolve conflicts using collaborative problem solving and non-violent communication
• Help youth understand the rules of the house and follow policies and procedures
• Assure the home is safe, clean and stock with supplies necessary to manage the home
• Prepare meals and work with youth to create culturally appropriate menu plans
• Maintain food handlers card
• Document services in line with Behavioral Rehabilitation Services master service plan
• Document observation and activities and write incident reports when necessary
• Special projects as assigned
What Education and Experience do you need to be a residential youth care specialist?
• High School Diploma or equivalent in addition to 3 years of experience and/or training working with at risk youth
• Experience working with teens
• Must have current valid driver’s license and auto liability insurance
• Food handlers card, or ability to obtain within first 30 days of employment
• Generous PTO (Vacation, Sick, 11 Holidays + Floater Holiday)
• Dog Friendly
• Training Opportunities
• Jury Duty and Paid Bereavement Leave
• Employee Assistance Program
• Covid-19 Safe work environment
How do you apply?
To apply submit: Cover Letter+ Resume
• By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• By mail or in person: The Next Door: 965 Tucker Rd, Hood River, OR 97031
• By Fax: 541-386-5440.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
The Next Door is an Equal Opportunity Employer, one that appreciates differences and creates opportunities for staff to interact with people who do not look like, talk like, think like, believe like, act like, or live like they do.